Emergy scholarship is the most direct way to gain a full understanding of emergy and emergy research. This is a brief list of some foundational emergy publications.
- Odum, H.T. 1988. Self organization, transformity, and information. Science 242 (Nov. 25, 1988):1132-1139.
- Odum, W.P., E.P. Odum and H.T. Odum. 1995. Nature's pulsing paradigm. Estuaries 18(4):547-555
- Brown, M.T. and S. Ulgiati. 1999. Emergy evaluation of the biosphere and natural capital. Ambio 28(6):486-493.
- Brown, M.T., H.T. Odum and SE Jorgensen. 2004. Energy hierarchy, transformity in universe. Ecological Modeling 178: 17-28.
- Odum, H.T. 1996. Environmental Accounting: Emergy and Decision Making. John Wiley, NY. 370 pp.
- Odum, H.T., E.C. Odum and M.T. Brown. 1998. Environment and Society in Florida. St. Lucie Press, Boca Raton, FL. 449 pp.
- Odum, H.T. and E.C. Odum. 2000. Modeling for All Scales, an Introduction to System Simulation. Academic Press, San Diego, CA. 458 pp.
An Encyclopedia introduction to Emergy Analysis is available here:
- Brown, M.T. and S. Ulgiati. 2004. Emergy Analysis and Environmental Accounting. Encyclopedia of Energy, Volume 2, 329-354.